Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Hey Dude, HALT!
From Slate:
USAT fronts an interesting news feature on a new trend in, ahem, law enforcement: States are now passing laws that grant immunity from prosecution to crime victims who retaliate against their attackers with deadly force. The laws, championed by the NRA, are meant to deter carjackers, muggers, and the like.
That doesn't sound so crazy, does it? I mean, if you're attacked, you should be able to defend youself .... right? I mean, I want every legal defense available to me if I feel the need to protect my loved ones ... don't you?
Critics say they are a license for vigilantism, since it's hard to define what constitutes an attack. Case in point: A tow-truck operator who shot a man for driving his car away without paying a fee is invoking the defense, saying the driver could have run him down.
Oh.

You mean. If you give a license to kill, some people will like, actually use bad judgement? Nah.....