Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Nowak Word
The Lisa Nowak astronaut-gone-wild story is tabloidism at it's best. I haven't been watching, but CNN must be going wild.

I don't have anything to add to the nonsense other than I find it quite interesting the way the media is handling her plight. Whenever I hear the story, I also hear interviews from people who have a "but for the grace of god go I" mentality .... quite charitable, forgiving .... willing to consider that "something went wrong", with even one commentator suggesting that, who knows, maybe we're seeing the beginnings of a serious mental illness. And I don't disagree with these assessments. But it's not exactly the kind of coverage most criminals get.

This is really quite a contrast to the coverage of most crimes and criminals. Because the commentators and news creatures can "relate" to Lisa Nowak, she's getting the compassionate coverage. If she was a street criminal without a job, I'm sure the coverage would be quite different. Like Animal Farm, I guess all criminals are equal but some are more equal than others.