Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Monday, February 05, 2007
Egg Salad Days
Even Bush's minister is trying to tell him something. This is a story told in last Sunday's sermon while Bush was sitting in the audience:
"'I'm not a mystic, but I try to pay attention to dreams, and in this particular dream, I was way beyond my social standing, I was at a gathering of very fancy people with a huge table down the center that had all sorts of exotic foods -- way beyond my social standing. And I didn't know anybody in the room, my wife wasn't with me, so I'm sort of at a loss, in this strange social setting, and all these exotic foods, and nobody's speaking to me, and I'm not speaking to anybody else, and I see all this food that I don't recognize, and finally I see one that I recognize, and it's egg salad. (Laughter.) So I went over to this very fancy table and got my bowl and I filled it up with egg salad. And I started eating my egg salad. And then I woke up from my dream.

"'Now here's what the kick is from this particular story, the reason I'm telling you this story is this: I hate egg salad. (Laughter.) I can't stand egg salad. (Laughter, including a very recognizable 'heh heh heh.') You know what? It was the only familiar food on the table. And I chose that which was familiar.' . . .

"The reverend then punched the point: 'We have to ask ourselves this question: Are you in some sort of egg salad experience? Are you lost in the egg salad days?'"