Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Tool of War
Rape as a tool of war has been used throughout history but it still horrifies me. When combined with a culture of ignorance it becomes especially heinous.
The 25-year-old Darfuri woman was raped in front of her two young children, whose screams haunted her during an attack which she is too ashamed to tell her husband about.
------------

"My children were screaming and ran off into the bush. All I could hear was their screaming."

She said she was fleeing an attack on her village in late December and was on the way to the Ardamata camp near el-Geneina town in West Darfur.

She was so badly beaten and distressed, she lay on the road side for nine days while her two cousins tended to her wounds.

"I haven't told my husband. I'm scared to," she said.

Rape is a difficult crime to prove under Islamic law in Sudan. The victim said she did not go to the hospital or to the police because she was ashamed.
source

I think of all the things that upset American women and marvel at how two completely different worlds can reside on the same planet.