Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Thursday, July 27, 2006
Ranted Out
I was shocked two quarters ago.

I was angry last quarter.

This quarter I'm just hopeless:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp. (NYSE:XOM - news), the world's largest public oil company, on Thursday reported quarterly profit surged 35 percent to top $10 billion, driven by yet another quarter of sharply higher oil prices.
They're all reporting record profits and increases in capital spending for exploration.

We are so going in the wrong direction, I'm typeless.
3 Comments:
Blogger Lynne said...
The price of gas is killing me (I've spent almost $1,700 so far this year and no, I don't drive a truck or SUV) but I'm not opposed to high prices. It is the ONLY thing that will wake Americans up to demand an end to our oil addiction. With global warming threatening our very existence (now there are reports of the Amazon dying) it is up to us to make the change. Some creative and PATRIOTIC folks in North Carolina are doing their part.

That said I do find the conduct and policies of our oil corporation/government to be utterly hopeless.
And blogger has been a colossal pain this morning.

Blogger Greyhair said...
I totally agree.

What I am opposed to is private corporations unfairly benefitting and price gouging. It's called "windfall" and it used to be taxed. No longer. So while ordinary Americans get killed with higher prices, the oil companies are incentivized to 1) explore for more oil thus furthering our dependency on petroleum, and 2) limiting supply to keep prices high. Such a deal.

And yes, blogger has been a pain. It's a pain more days than not it seems.

Blogger Lynne said...
And you forgot 3) using a lot of their windfall to buy our government.
Feh!