Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Monday, May 08, 2006
Interesting Perspective
Ezra Klein often takes an oppositional point of view. And it's good to have a pet devil's advocate hanging around liberal blogs. I usually blow it off for what it is, an attempt to differentiate himself. But in a post today, he makes a very intriguing point:
Meanwhile, I'm fairly convinced that Dems would be better off radically shaving GOP margins in 2006 but not actually capturing Congress. Creating a 50-50 split in the Senate and a closer margin in the House would allow Democrats to be effective in the opposition without getting tied to the continuing implosion of the GOP's policy agenda. That's not to say it's my favored outcome, but it seems the most politically advantageous (or am I just lowering expectations myself?).
If the Dems don't actually win a House in Congress, then I'll buy this spin. But for now, I'm still up for winning one house and having supoena power. I believe investigations are more likely to continue the negative GOP momentum than a minority party nipping at their heals.