Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Thursday, February 16, 2006
Museum
I can't get the new torture pictures off my mind.

I got to thinking about this time we're in, the Bush administration's dictatorial control and the way America has treated the rest of the world. I was particularly struck by a news story I read that reported that the new torture pictures that have been released by Australian television are being played continuously on Arab Television. Yes, Americans can hardly pry themselves off their cell phones long enough to pay attention to our government, and our media can't seem to give the story more than passing coverage, but everywhere else in the world, this story is playing big.

Then I remember my recent visit to the Holocaust Museum. No, I'm not comparing American behavior to Nazi behavior with the Jews. But I am wondering if, in likely the near future, there won't be a musuem in the Arab world with displays, pictures, video, recreations and artifacts of America's treatment of Islamist during this time. Perhaps it will be built on the current Abu Grahab site, after America finally leaves Iraq. And I can see it likely with a sign: "We Will Never Forget". And I can also envision the time when Americans, at least decent Americans, will hang their heads in shame at such a museum.

As I've said before. We have no idea, none, about just how much damage we've done ourselves and our fundamental principles in Bush's "War on Terror". It's going to take generations to ameliorate, but it will never be repaired.