Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Presidential Musings
Obama:
"If you will join me in this improbable quest, if you feel destiny calling, and see as I see, a future of endless possibility stretching before us; if you sense, as I sense, that the time is now to shake off our slumber, and slough off our fear, and make good on the debt we owe past and future generations, then I'm ready to take up the cause, and march with you, and work with you."
It is way to early to be getting too serious about any Presidential candidate. But that silly season of the primaries, like it or not, has begun. At this point, I have no idea who I'm going to support.

One trait that all the candidates inevitably will share, and a trait I hate, is the need to pander and triangulate. I know it's a fact of political life and a necessity to get elected, particularly on a national level. The U.S. of A. is really several different countries from a value standpoint and to get elected you obviously need a majority. Even the "straight-talkers" will get crooked-talking as they run for election. It's a reality. I just need to deal with it.

I want to like Obama. But I'm a little bit nervous and distrustful. Some of his behavior as a Senator has been a turnoff. Yet, his rhetoric, energy and ideas make him a (yes, I'm gonna say it) clean candidate that is quite attractive. I've always like Edwards and his populism as well, but he's going to have to improve in the counter-nutbar category. I used to like Hillary until she became a politician who is now panderer-in-chief. I do like Bill Richardson, but I don't think he has a prayer. I could get behind Al Gore, but I just don't think he's gonna do it (I wouldn't if I were in his position).

One element I will be looking for in any candidate I back is the ability to assertively (or aggressively if needed) stand up to the GOP/nutbar noise/propaganda machine. We've had enough wimps run. All Democratic candidates need a lesson from Jim Webb before serious campaigning.

At this point my wallet is closed and I'm not jumping on any bandwagons. When I do, I suspect it will be with fingers firmly holding my nose. The only politician that truly excites me as a speaker, thinker, and leader is Howard Dean .... and he's not on the agenda this time.

So. Let them run. Let the races begin and may the strongest donkey kick the crap out of any Republican.