Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Rhetoric Alert
Here it comes:
The UN Security Council has given Iran until August 31 to halt uranium enrichment and other sensitive activities that could lead to production of nuclear weapons or face the prospect of sanctions.
Ostensibly, the next step in the process is "sanctions", but I don't think anyone actually expects sanctions to work. The U.S. already has sanctions against Iran while China and Russia are hardly going to stop the flow of oil. Thus, Bush will be "twarted" in using the U.N. It's at that point that Bush either puts up or shuts up about using military power. And I, for one, am not misunderestimating Bush's ability to shoot himself in the foot. And given Israel's "success", don't be surprised to see nukes back on the table.
1 Comments:
Blogger Lynne said...
I have always looked at the tensions of the Cold War from the safe distance of time. The threat of nuclear annihilation seemed far removed from my life. Now, thanks to the myopic machismo of the neocons, I do think about a world blasted clean of humanity. I think about this happening in my lifetime and I don't know how to feel. If we do actually destroy ourselves it will be because we were too stupid to survive as a species.
Ironically, the Christians with all their talk of armageddon and rapture, will have finally proven Darwin correct.