Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Friday, May 26, 2006
Mistakes
I've certainly been uniformly critical of Bush and his administration. But I do think Bush said something good for a change:
The NYT and WP front Prime Minister Tony Blair hanging at the White House with Bush, where they defended the war, declined to commit to a drawdown of troops, and expressed a few regrets. Bush acknowledged it wasn't a good move to challenge insurgents to "bring it on" nor to say he wanted Osama Bin Laden "dead or alive." Said the president, "I learned some lessons about expressing myself maybe in a little more sophisticated manner."
The video of this shows a sincerity that I've not often seen in Bush. Who knows, he probably was coached to look sincere. But his self critical discussion of the cowboy macho BS he was spouting is right on target.

So here a rare compliment to Bush. Heckuva job Bushie.

UPDATE: It would appear I'm pretty much alone in my praise.
4 Comments:
Blogger Lynne said...
Bush could cure cancer and I'd still not have anything nice to say about him.

Blogger mikevotes said...
I hate to tell you this, but they had Richard Wolffe, the Time correspondent on Countdown after the speech where speaking of this section, he said,

"But of course, it is very rehearsed, everything from the mannerisms you saw, the upwards glance up at the ceiling for inspiration. And for me, the big giveaway was at the end of that answer—I don‘t know if you could see it on camera, but the president flashed a big grin to those of us sitting in the front rows. It didn‘t seem that he was quite as contrite as his performance."

Transcript link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12990267/

Sorry.

Mike

Blogger Greyhair said...
My point is that the guy at least *said* something right. I don't know of many politicians, Bill Clinton included, who haven't rehearsed what they're going to say. I can tell a politician is likely being insincere because they're lips are moving. The point is that Bush is reading the polls enough to know that he has to at least fake being contrite, which is at least being somewhat less stubborn and more responsive. My kudos don't go very deep.

Blogger mikevotes said...
I agree, it is a climbdown for him and that is something, but check this out. I think this is a picture of the grin in question.

http://www.taylormarsh.com/archives_view.php?id=24087