Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Purity Ball
No pun intended, if you know what I mean.

Take a look at this picture (all via Digby):


Here's what the little girl is reading to Daddy:
I pledge to remain sexually pure...until the day I give myself as a wedding gift to my husband. ... I know that God requires this of me.. that he loves me. and that he will reward me for my faithfulness.
And Daddy's response?
I, (daughter’s name)’s father, choose before God to cover my daughter as her authority and protection in the area of purity. I will be pure in my own life as a man, husband and father. I will be a man of integrity and accountability as I lead, guide and pray over my daughter and as the high priest in my home. This covering will be used by God to influence generations to come.
This is part of a ritual done by the fundies at a prom-like dance called "The Purity Ball".

As Digby points out, isn't this all a bit creepy?

I know father's are supposed to be the first images of men for little girls in their developing sexuality. But this may be taking it a bit far. Does this little girl have any idea what she's pledging as she gazes into her father's eyes? And isn't it nice to know that Daddy is the household priest and will "cover" her (twice) as a young, unmarried, woman? Nevermind that all this totally fly's out the window when the hormones start raging. In fact, I'd be willing to make the case that these types of beliefs actually increase sexual acting out by the girls of wingnuts. It's no accident that rates of teen pregnancy correlate quite nicely with fundamentalist communities.

BTW, notice there's no mothers or sons? Apparently there's no equal ritual for them. Perhaps a little fear of the Oedipal thing? Or maybe as a commenter on Digby pointed out, this may be due to the inherent fear of wingnuts that their sons will turn out to be gay. Thus, they are encouraged in a thousand subtle (and not so subtle ways) to screw anything that moves (female that is) to prove they're not gay, so mom and dad can relax. Gee, wonder who they're supposed to be screwing to prove their heterosexuality?

I'm so confused.