Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Friday, January 27, 2006
Gasping for Air
The Neocon Death Cult is at it again. From the Daily Kos:
Under the proposed S. 1932 Legislation, Medicare would now only allow patients to rent oxygen concentrators and related oxygen equipment provided with it for up to 36 months.
Under this new pending rule, Medicare will stop paying for the rental, and the provider will no longer be involved the patient's care or management of his/her oxygen concentrator after 36 months. According to Congressional reports, the average patient rents such equipment for 30 months. By capping the units at 36 months, Congress will be cutting off rental benefits to as many as 15 to 20 percent of all Medicare patients on oxygen. Patients will no longer receive free 24-hour service on the equipment, and they will no longer receive any free service. They will have to be financially responsible for each service provided.

I have watched someone I love fighting for breath, turning blue. It is hideous. I cannot believe the people in Washington can even consider such legislation.
Call Congress today and tell your Representatives you do NOT want your home oxygen benefits cut. Tell them to VOTE NO on S. 1932.
1 Comments:
Blogger Greyhair said...
I watched an elderly couple yesterday at Walgreens trying to get the woman's albuterol (inhaler for breathing). The medicare related private, efficient, competitive, quality servicing insurance company was hassling the pharmacist about the perscription, putting the clerk on hold and making the couple wait. The clerk said she thought they were going to want the lady to take another medication. The lady said, "I can't take another medication!". They had obviously been waiting for quite some time, the woman on an oxygen tank.

They waited.

Finally, the old man went to the counter and said, "hell, give us the drug I'll just pay for it". They didn't look wealthy. The clerk, apologetically said, "if it's gets approved, we'll refund you the difference".

I was there to pick up a perscription for Nexium. I have intractable GERD for which the family of medications called "PPI's" is a must. I am allergic to every other drug in the class but nexium (a two year battle with the insurance company in and of itself). I had a perscription for 10 pills and my insurance was refusing to authorize it without further "clarification" from my Dr. I finally also said, "I'll just pay for the damned perscription for now". It was $70 for 10 pills.

Within the course of about 5 minutes at the counter of a typical pharmacy, two patients paid out of pocket for their meds at a total cost of around $150, a grossly inflated price set by the drug companies.

Wonder how often that happens at other pharmacies! It's called cost containment.

My ass.