Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Wednesday, April 04, 2007
Netroots
It looks like the netroots have reared their heads again. I don't normally comment on this type of stuff so early, but this is impressive:
Over 100,000 People Donate to Obama Campaign in First Quarter

Campaign Raises At Least $25 Million, At Least $23.5 Million for Primary

Chicago, IL- The Obama for America campaign today announced that it will report raising at least $25 million from more than 100,000 people in the first quarter of 2007, with at least $23.5 million eligible to be spent in the Democratic primary.

“This overwhelming response, in only a few short weeks, shows the hunger for a different kind of politics in this country and a belief at the grassroots level that Barack Obama can bring out the best in America to solve our problems,” said Obama for America Finance Chair Penny Pritzker.

The Obama campaign raised $6.9 million over the Internet from more than 50,000 donors.
The money figure is impressive itself. But from 100,000 donators? That's huge and very grassrootsy.
4 Comments:
Blogger Lynne said...
Sirota has some comments about it all here and here.
Americablog also has some interesting comments such as this one:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't like the way I was pressured into pledging to donate to Obama's Campaign, so they aren't getting a dime from me and they can KMA.
I'm on the "do not call list" and started to get twice daily phone calls from an unregistered number for around two weeks before I finally decided to answer and give the caller a piece of my mind. It was Obama's campaign and the caller proceeded to "shake me down" immediately.
"Would I be willing to send Obama $500"?
No, I said.
"$400"?
Again, no.
$250"?
No.
"$200"?
No.
"$100"?
No.
"$50"?
No.
"$25"?
O.K., now leave me the hell alone.
OxyCon | 04.04.07 - 1:42 pm | #

Blogger Greyhair said...
Lynne,

Don't know about Americablog, but Sirota is a big Hillary supporter. Wouldn't expect him to have anything positive to say about Obama. Besides, Sirota's generally an asshole anyway.

No matter how he did it, Obama did do it with broadbased support, a lot of motivated volunteers and effective fundraising. Whether you like the techniques or not, it is impressive.

Disclaimer: I'm not necessarily a big Obama supporter myself.

Blogger Lynne said...
Sirota's saying if you want a candidate who supports the people, John Edwards is the man. Reading his blog entry, it sure doesn't sound like he supports Hillary.

Blogger Lynne said...
I'm still for Russ Feingold!