Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Friday, December 22, 2006
Cold, Heartless
Billmon writes a diddy today about Madame Supertanker. He starts with this quote from the Condster:
"This is a country that is worth the investment because once it emerges as a country that is a stabilizing factor, you'll have a very different kind of Middle East. And I know that from the point of view of not just monetary costs, but the sacrifice of American lives, a lot has been sacrificed for Iraq, a lot has been invested in Iraq."

Condoleezza Rice
Associated Press interview
December 21, 2006
I heard her say that, but I wasn't really listening. Billmon nails it:
I once made the analogy that in the imperialism business troops equal money, so I'm perhaps I'm not in the best position to criticize. But I was trying to sound cruel and heartless for sarcastic effect, while Condi appears to have been utterly sincere -- every bit as sincere as when she described Israel's air assault on Lebanon as the "birth pangs" of the new Middle East. (How's the baby doing, Condi?)
This truly is a stupid statement for her to make. But it is an insight into the thinking of the Bush administration. This group of sociopathic individuals see their moves in terms of corporatism, not as representatives of people. If I had suffered a loss in Iraq, I think I might have been a bit offended. Labeling her a heartless b*#@h may be too kind.