Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
Down For The Count
Josh is making the case that there is a sea-change occurring:
But not this cycle. It's no mystery that things aren't looking good for the GOP this year. But I like looking at numbers in the individual races. And again and again, I'm seeing races that never quite become competitive tip on to the other side entirely.

One I noticed a few weeks ago was Rep. Chris ["the count"] Chocola in Indiana 2. First was a Democratic poll showing him a stunning ten points behind his Democratic opponent. Partisan polls are of course inherently suspect. But, as has happened again and again over the last six or seven weeks, that was followed by an independent poll which showed a smaller but still serious deficit. Chocola with 41% to his challengers 46%.

For an incumbent in July those are very bleak numbers.

And he's not the only one.
I think it's still a bit early to get the champagne chilled. But I do think the election is moving in the right direction. But then again, I've felt cautiously optimistic before only to be torpedoed. But hey, even a stopped watch is right twice per day.