Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Wednesday, June 07, 2006
Election
There were widespread elections last night. Many were looking to these contests for some indication of how the wind is blowing. Each side is spinning the results in their direction .... as usual. Personally, I'm not sure you can derive too much from the results. There were no big surprises although Francine Busby did have a good showing in a largely Republican district. But she did lose.

I think the main thing I've gotten out of the results was turnout. It was pathetic. This isn't all that unusual for an early summer, mid-term, primary election. I'm expecting the November election to be the same with low turn-out. This will inevitably favor Democrats because I think the voters who will stay home are primarily Republicans.

Finally. I think the Dems had better be very careful. The growing conventional wisdom that they will crush the Republicans in November is pre-mature. There's a lot of time between now and then. And despite Bush's propensity to shoot himself in the foot, much could happen to change the dynamics quickly.