Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Thursday, April 06, 2006
Shocker .... Except Now
This would be a bombshell revelation during any normal time in American history:
Special prosecutor Patrick J. Fitzgerald late yesterday filed a response to a motion by Scooter Libby's defense team, and it contains a shocker.

Josh Gerstein of the New York Sun was first out of the gates this morning. (In fact, as of this writing, none of the major news outlets has published a word on the subject.)

Gerstein writes that according to the filing, Libby "testified to a grand jury that he gave information from a closely-guarded 'National Intelligence Estimate' on Iraq to a New York Times reporter in 2003 with the specific permission of President Bush."

As Gerstein explains: "[T]he new disclosure could be awkward for the president because it places him, for the first time, directly in a chain of events that led to a meeting where prosecutors contend the identity of a CIA employee, Valerie Plame, was provided to a reporter."

That reporter, of course, was Judith Miller.
Not much of a surprise that Bush was fully aware, and approved, of the Plame outing and cover-up. But to have evidence of it is astonishing. I don't know if Fitzgerald has any criminal options, but I hope he does. Unfortunately, I suspect the Preznit can release classified information any ole' time he chooses. It's certainly impeachable. But then, that's only if Congress cares to enforce some sort of accountability .... not.
2 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
I wrote a post in October raising certain possibilities.

Greyhair,

Do you suppose you could contact me? I am in desperate need of advice of something that I believe is your expertise. In addition to your natural brilliance of course.

Thanks.

Blogger mikevotes said...
From what I understand, the president can declassify at will, so no direct legal issues, BUT....

If you combine this with the Murray Waas piece a couple days ago, it shows that the President intentionally and specifically authorized the release of information he knew to be highly questionable to support the war propaganda.

And, at 11:10 AM local time, CNN, who got the story wrong, came on my TV and told me that Bush had authorized the leaking of Plame's name. You know me well enough to know that my heartrate went up.