Bending the Third Rail
Because We Should, We Can, We Do
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Universal Soldier
I'm in agreement with Joel Stein over at the LA Times. I just can't believe a mainstream rag published his opinion. I have felt this way for a long time. Probably too much Donovan in my youth.
The real purpose of those ribbons is to ease some of the guilt we feel for voting to send them to war and then making absolutely no sacrifices other than enduring two Wolf Blitzer shows a day. Though there should be a ribbon for that.
---
But blaming the president is a little too easy. The truth is that people who pull triggers are ultimately responsible, whether they're following orders or not. An army of people making individual moral choices may be inefficient, but an army of people ignoring their morality is horrifying. An army of people ignoring their morality, by the way, is also Jack Abramoff's pet name for the House of Representatives.
---
I'm not advocating that we spit on returning veterans like they did after the Vietnam War, but we shouldn't be celebrating people for doing something we don't think was a good idea. All I'm asking is that we give our returning soldiers what they need: hospitals, pensions, mental health and a safe, immediate return. But, please, no parades.

Okay, then. Flame on and tell me in colorful language what a horrible person I am.
2 Comments:
Blogger Greyhair said...
No flames here.

BTW, he needs to be corrected on the "spit on soldiers" thing. Didn't happen.

Blogger Ms. Jan said...
I agree with you and I'll bet our name is legion.